Stewart Island Paradise Tour
Stewart Island 5 Day Adventure
NEXT TOUR DEPARTS 22nd August 2020 ex DUNEDIN
(other dates may be available on request)
Explore Stewart Island, known as Rakiura "the Land of Glowing Skies"
Experience what New Zealand was like before people arrived, a lush sub-tropical paradise providing a haven for unique birdlife & marine mammals.
Iconic Tours run small group, fully guided tours to Stewart Island
4 nights accommodation (private rooms)
all transport including Stewart Island return flights (or ferry if preferred)
at least one special activity/attraction each day
breakfast and lunch each day
fully escourted with Kim, Iconic Tours owner for the duration of the tour
Start in Dunedin (5 Day Guided Tour) or transfer from Christchurch or Queenstown the day before (additional cost may apply).
Attractions included in price:
Ulva Island Bird Sanctuary guided tour (with Ulva's Guided Walks)
Freshwater River Cruise (with Rakiura Charters)
Guided forest walks & bird watching (with Kim)
Pelagic bird watching cruise (with Rakiura Charters)
Every day accompanied with your own Iconic tour guide
*Breakfast and light lunch included every day.
*Evening meals and other refreshments are own cost unless specified.
Day 1. Dunedin City & The Catlins Coast
- Start in Dunedin: Tour Dunedin's interesting and quirky city attractions including Baldwin Street (World's Steepest Street), Olveston Homestead's gardens, the Octagon and Dunedin's beautiful Railway Station
- Experience the thrill of the wild Catlins Coast, a full-day tour of rugged isolated beaches, enchanting native forest, spectacular waterfalls and rustic villages. This is New Zealand's best kept secret.
- Overnight in private beachfront accommodation at Curio Bay near to where the rare Yellow Eyed Penguins arrive back in the evening.
Day 2. Invercargill & Stewart Island
- After a hearty breakfast at Curio Bay, we arrive in time for a morning tour of Invercargill, NZ's southern city. We'll introduce you to some local legends and you can enjoy morning tea on the main street. A visit to a special sanctuary for New Zealand's only reptile, the Tuatara is available at the Southland Museum.
- After lunch we fly from Invercargill Airport to Stewart Island with Stewart Island Flights (return airfares included). Alternatively we can book the Stewart Island Ferry (approx 1 hour crossing from Bluff) if your prefer.
- On arrival in Stewart Island, we will take a short tour around Oban the local town, before settling in to your accommodation. Free time in the afternoon to explore the area, a spot of shoping, or just relax and enjoy a beer or two soaking up the atmosphere at the pub on the beach front.
- Evening option; local cinema production "A Dog's Tale"
Day 3. Stewart Island
Now the adventure really begins with our 1st full day on Stewart Island.
The following activities are included in the price:
- Full-day small group cruise with Rakiura Charters to explore the Island's diverse coastline. Morning tea onboard the boat is complimentary and interesting commentary provided by your local skipper.
- Our cruise will take us to Ulva Island bird sanctuary in Patterson Inlet. Here we join a well known and much loved guided tour of the island with Ulva's Guided Walks.
- Rakiura Charters will meet us after the Ulva Island tour ends to continue our cruise in Patterson Inlet with a visit to a historic whaling station and opportunity to view Albatross in flight.
Day 4. Stewart Island
Option 1. Travel by water taxi to Port William for a half day walk along the Rakiura Track to Lee Bay. At the end of the walk our local taxi driver will take us back to Oban township (all included in price).
Alternatively we have a variety of other attractions you might be interested in... *additional cost may apply
Option 2. Free time to relax on the beaches or take your pick from a variety of short walks around Oban township. Hire a moped or e-bike and ride out to Ackers Beach, or have a game of golf at the Ringaringa short course.
Option 3. Sunset Kayak: 1.5 to 2 hour guided sea-kayak experience in the safe haven of Patterson Inlet.
Option 4. Evening Kiwi Spotting Tour: water taxi to start of track for guided walk to view Kiwis at night.
Option 5. Freshwater Inlet River Cruise: the perfect way to explore a unique part of the island without the tramping.
*Opportunities to combine some of the above tours may be possible *additional cost may apply
Day 5. Stewart Island to Dunedin
Head back to the mainland with Stewart Island Flights, lunch in Invercargill and then travel back to Dunedin with Kim.
*Small Group Tour with minimum 2 People
*Private group bookings can be arranged
Call us now to book: 03 472 7776 or 0800 840 729