Stewart Island Tour
Stewart Island 5 or 6 Day Adventure
NEXT TOUR DEPARTS 6th MARCH 2017 ex CHRISTCHURCH
(or 7th MARCH ex DUNEDIN)
Explore Stewart Island, known as Rakiura "the Land of Glowing Skies"
Experience what New Zealand was like before people arrived, a lush sub-tropical paradise providing a haven for unique birdlife & marine mammals.
Iconic Tours run small group, fully guided tours to Stewart Island. We have included in the price at least one guided activity each day, light refreshments and all your accommodation and transport booked for you. You can sit back and enjoy all the best Stewart Island has to offer with the assurance of having our attentive guide with you each day to make sure all goes to plan.
Start in Dunedin (5 Day Guided Tour) or Christchurch or Queenstown (6 Day Guided Tour).
Tour price includes all transport, return flights to/from Stewart Island, 4 or 5 nights private accommodation (twin share).
Attractions included in price: Ulva Island Bird Sanctuary guided tour, guided fishing charter and/or pelagic bird cruise, accompanied every day with your own Iconic tour guide.
*Meals and refreshments are own cost unless otherwise specified.
Day 1. Dunedin City & The Catlins Coast
- Start in Dunedin: Tour Dunedin's interesting and quirky city attractions including Baldwin Street (World's Steepest Street), Olveston Homestead's gardens, the Octagon and Dunedin's beautiful Railway Station
- Experience the thrill of the wild Catlins Coast, a full-day tour of rugged isolated beaches, enchanting native forest, spectacular waterfalls and rustic villages. This is New Zealand's best kept secret.
- Overnight in private beachfront accommodation at Curio Bay near to where the rare Yellow Eyed Penguins arrive back in the evening.
Day 2. Invercargill & Stewart Island
- We arrive in time for a morning tour of Invercargill, NZ's southern city. We'll introduce you to some local legends and you can enjoy morning tea on the main street. A tour of New Zealand's sub-Antarctic Region at Southland Museum is also an option.
- After lunch we fly from Invercargill Airport to Stewart Island with Stewart Island Flights (return airfares included). Evening option; local cinema production "A Dog's Tale"
- 3 nights accommodation on Stewart Island is included; private studio (twin share). A variety of accommodation options are possible including Motel, Private Lodge, Luxury/fully catered to Backpackers. Prices are based on private lodge accommodation.
Day 3. Stewart Island Full Day
Now the adventure really begins with our 1st full day on New Zealand's 3rd island.
The following activities are included in the price:
- Full-day small group cruise with Rakiura Charters to explore the Island's diverse coastline. Morning tea onboard the boat is complimentary and interesting commentary provided by Matt your local skipper.
- Our cruise will take us to Ulva Island bird sanctuary in Patterson Inlet. Here we join a well known and much loved guided tour of the island with Ulva's Guided Walks.
- Rakiura Charters will meet us after the Ulva Island tour ends to continue our cruise in Patterson Inlet with a visit to a historic whaling station and opportunity to view Albatross in flight.
- Try your hand at catching fish on this small fishing boat charter. Blue cod is known as one of NZ's best fish and is abundant in Stewart Island waters. We usually catch enough for a grand cookup for dinner!
Day 4. Stewart Island (2nd Full Day)
Here we have a variety of options for attractions you might be interested in (*some with an additional cost)
- Option 1. Free time to relax on the beaches or take your pick from a variety of short walks around Oban township, or have a game of golf at the Ringaringa short course.
- Option 2. Travel by water taxi to Port William along the Rakiura Track, explore with your guide short walks along the North East circuit and then return by walking or water taxi to Halfmoon Bay (included in price)
- Option 3. Sunset Kayak; 1.5 to 2 hour guided sea-kayak experience in the safe haven of Patterson Inlet (included in price).
- Option 4. *Evening Kiwi Spotting Tour; water taxi to start of track for guided walk to view Kiwis at night (additional cost applies).
*Opportunities to combine any or all of the above tours for this 2nd full day on Stewart Island
Day 5. Stewart Island to Dunedin (or Queenstown/Christchurch)
Head back to the mainland with Stewart Island Flights and travel back to Dunedin. Or alternatively fly direct Invercargill to Queenstown or Christchurch (airfares not included).
Price (5 Day Tour ex Queenstown or Dunedin): NZ$ special price available now, please inquire
Price (6 Day Tour ex Christchurch): NZ$ same as above but add 1 night Dunedin accommodation
*Small Group Tour with Minimum 2 People
*Price based on twin share accommodation
*Discounts may be available for group bookings
Call us now to book: 03 472 7776 or 0800 840 729