Stewart Island 5 Day Adventure
get in early! book now for summer!
tours running 2021: Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov
tours running 2022: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr
Explore Stewart Island, known as Rakiura "the Land of Glowing Skies"
Experience what New Zealand was like before people arrived, a lush sub-tropical paradise providing a haven for unique birdlife & marine mammals.
Iconic Tours run small group, fully guided tours to Stewart Island
4 nights accommodation (private rooms)
all transport including Stewart Island return flights (or ferry if preferred)
at least one special activity/attraction each day
breakfast and lunch each day
fully escourted with Kim, Iconic Tours owner for the duration of the tour
Attractions included in price:
Ulva Island Bird Sanctuary guided tour (with Ulva's Guided Walks)
Patterson Inlet Cruise
Pelagic bird watching cruise
Guided Kiwi Spotting Tour
*Breakfast and light lunch included every day
*Evening meals and other refreshments are own cost unless specified
Day 1. Dunedin City & The Catlins Coast
- Start in Dunedin: Tour Dunedin's interesting and quirky city attractions including Baldwin Street (World's Steepest Street), Olveston Homestead's gardens, the Octagon and Dunedin's beautiful Railway Station
- Experience the thrill of the wild Catlins Coast, a full-day tour of rugged isolated beaches, enchanting native forest, spectacular waterfalls and rustic villages. This is New Zealand's best kept secret.
- Overnight in private beachfront accommodation at Curio Bay near the World reknown Petrified Forest
Day 2. Invercargill & Stewart Island
- After a hearty breakfast at Curio Bay, we arrive in time for a morning tour of Invercargill, NZ's southern city. We'll introduce you to some local legends and you can enjoy morning tea on the main street. A visit to a special sanctuary for New Zealand's only reptile, the Tuatara is available at the Southland Museum.
- After lunch we fly from Invercargill Airport to Stewart Island with Stewart Island Flights (return airfares included). Alternatively we can book the Stewart Island Ferry (approx 1 hour crossing from Bluff) if your prefer.
- On arrival in Stewart Island, we will take a short tour around Oban the local town, before settling in to your accommodation. Free time in the afternoon to explore the area, a spot of shoping, or just relax and enjoy a beer or two soaking up the atmosphere at the pub on the beach front.
- Evening option; local cinema production "A Dog's Tale"
Day 3. Stewart Island
Now the adventure really begins with our 1st full day on Stewart Island.
The following activities are included in the price:
- Full-day small group cruise with Rakiura Charters to explore the Island's diverse coastline. Morning tea onboard the boat is complimentary and interesting commentary provided by your local skipper.
- Our cruise will take us to Ulva Island bird sanctuary in Patterson Inlet. Here we join a well known and much loved guided tour of the island with Ulva's Guided Walks.
- Rakiura Charters will meet us after the Ulva Island tour ends to continue our tour with a pelagic cruise visiting small uninhabited islands home to a variety of wildlife and marvellous opportunities to view Albatross and other seabirds in flight.
Day 4. Stewart Island
We have a variety of other attractions you might be interested in on our 2nd full day on Stewart Island
Option 1. Free time to relax on the beaches or take your pick from a variety of short walks around Oban township. Hire a moped or e-bike and ride out to Ackers Beach, or have a game of golf at the Ringaringa short course.
Option 2. Rakiura Track Self Guided Walk Explore one of NZ's great walks from Port William to Lee Bay.
Option 3. Sunset Kayak: 1.5 to 2 hour guided sea-kayak experience in the safe haven of Patterson Inlet
*Opportunities to combine some of the above tours may be possible *additional cost may apply
Day 5. Stewart Island to Dunedin
Head back to the mainland with Stewart Island Flights, lunch in Invercargill and then travel back to Dunedin with Kim.